martedì 3 marzo 2009

Back to Training

Yes!!!!!!!! I am officially back in training. After having followed my doctors and physiotherapists instructions for a month and a half, and I swear to God I have never followed anyones instructions so closely in my life, I am officially back to training. The pain in my leg has disappeared, my back is loosening up and life is sweet. I had my last check-up on Friday 20th February and the good doctor gave me the all clear, mind you he did insist on me taking it easy for the next month or so.
So on Saturday I very cautiously went for a spin on the road bike. Just 40 kilometres, taking it easy and not worrying about the speed or power. An hour and forty minutes of just gently turning over the pedals, listening to the i-pod and enjoying being back on the road for an average speed of 23 km/h. I was still a little worried so I laid back for Sunday and Monday, just doing a short ride with my son on Sunday. By Tuesday I was fired up to go and each day the back was feeling better so I put in the following week of training.

Tuesday – 6k of running including 7 x 400m at 1’ 35”.
Wednesday – 2k of swimming.
Thursday – Forty minutes of weights and twenty minutes of spinning.
Friday – 2k of swimming.
Saturday – 70k of road bike with gentle hills. 2h 45’ for an average speed of 25km/h.
Sunday – 9k of running off road in one hour. Slow but that was intentional.

The incredible thing is that every time I finished a training session I would feel some tightness and a moderate amount of pain in my back but my the next morning it was gone and I actually felt better than the day before. Almost as if the training was working as a medicine.
I’ve taken Monday as a rest day and this evening (Tuesday) it’s back to the track for a session of 8 x 800m. I won’t be keeping the speed of my friends who are in training for the Rome Marathon next month but just the fact of being out there and running is going to be great.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails